Thursday 21 October 2010

rappers' names, band names

Christian sent me this great graphic today--a taxonomy of rappers' names:


It reminded me of a paper I read when I was a student about rock band names...but I can't find it now.  But anyhow--what a fun project.  How do trends in band naming (or persona naming in the case of individual artists who don't use their given names) change?  What does the name say about the music? Do band names follow trends in other kinds of naming, e.g. commercial products?  

2 comments:

  1. Do you happen to know the name of the paper that you read on this? I find this a really interesting topic and would love to do a bit more research on it for my research project. br64@sussex.ac.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have just been thinking of a short discussion in some work by Adrienne Lehrer:
    http://www.reference-global.com/doi/abs/10.1515/9783111355740.149

    ReplyDelete